In Christ I am

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect." (1 Corinthians 15:10)

Friday, October 13, 2006

Quotes from a favourite movie


One of my favourite movies is Forrest Gump. You have to watch this movie yourself to truly appreciate it.

Some facts about this movie (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Gump) :

"Forrest Gump is a 1985 novel by Winston Groom, a 1994 film adaptation, and the name of the title character of both. The film was a huge commercial success, earning $677 million worldwide during its theatrical run (the top grossing film in North America released that year... The film garnered a total of 13 Academy Award nominations, of which it won six, including Best Picture, Best Director (Robert Zemeckis), and Best Actor (Tom Hanks).
The film tells the story of a simple man's epic journey through life, meeting historical figures and experiencing first-hand historic events while largely unaware of their significance, due to his low IQ of 75."

I guess I love this movie because it reminds me that even when one may not be smart or great as how the world defines it, he can still succeed. It's what is within a person that inspires.

"But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence."
1 Corinthians 1:27-29

One of the principles that has guided me is: It's not just about what you have or what you can give. It's about how willing you are, to be moulded, to be used by God.

Got some quotes from the movie. Enjoy.

Mrs. Gump (Forrest Gump's mother) (Sally Field): Remember what I told you, Forrest. You're no different than anybody else is. Did you hear what I said, Forrest? You're the same as everybody else. You are no different.
Principal (Sam Anderson): Your boy's... different, Miz Gump. His IQ's 75.
Mrs. Gump: Well, we're all different, Mr. Hancock.

Jenny Curran (Forrest Gump's sweetheart) (Robin Wright): Do you ever dream, Forrest, about who you're gonna be?
Forrest Gump: Who I'm gonna be?
Jenny Curran: Yeah.

Forrest Gump: Aren't, aren't I going to be me?

Forrest Gump: I'm not a smart man, but I know what love is.

Forrest Gump: My mama always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on.

Forrest Gump: That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go... you know... I went.

For those interested in this old movie (12 yrs movie!), below is a link to a good trailer!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109830/trailers-screenplay-E10788-10-2


1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi sis,
    the words from the movie "Forrest Gump" and the verse you wrote(1 Cor 1:27 - 29) really encouraged me!You know, sometimes I do wonder if I do have what it takes to do GREAT things like those people in leadership positions! The thing about me is that I don't yearn to be someone at the top of an organisation but simply enjoy the work that God calls me to do! So when I'm given a bigger responsibility in my workplace and fill someone's BIG shoes, it almost blew me away! But I will hold on to God's Word and know that He has chosen me to do great things for His name alone and if He has chosen me, He will certainly give me the grace to accomplish it! Similarly for you, I know that wherever God has placed you (in your new workplace), He has wonderful plans in store for you and He will exalt you, strengthen you to do the great works that He has called you to do! Will constantly pray for you when you move to a new workplace!YOU WILL BE A SUCCESS BECAUSE GOD IS WITH YOU!!!

    Love u,
    Geri

     

Post a Comment

<< Home