In Christ I am

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect." (1 Corinthians 15:10)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Lesson from a bland soybean drink

I was drinking this particular type of soybean drink this afternoon when something struck me. You see, recently for health reasons, I invested in these 2 cartons of bland soybean drink (absolutely no sugar added). The first few times I drank it, it tasted totally digusting and bland. You know, something like plain water, except that it's milky white. You get the drift. I totally did not enjoy it at all.

Today is my second week into drinking this thing and peculiarly I realised that I do not detest it as much as when I first drank it and in fact, it did not taste very bland after all. I wondered, "acquired taste?" The Lord spoke to me at this point. Very interestingly, He reminded me of backsliding from Him.

No one loves backsliding (at least that's what I strongly believe in.) The beginning of a backsliding process is not pleasant because we are created to be in fellowship with Him and that's where we find true enjoyment and fulfillment for our souls. It's like when you first drink super bland soybean drink. Totally not in sync with the tastebuds. Now, things get a little different when one continue to let himself/ herself backslide. The unplesant-ness of the whole thing gets diluted. The spiritual tastebuds get "acquired" with the blandness of the spiritual connection with God. Soon, one begins to even enjoy the blandness and that becomes a self-defined richness of being.

This is a somber reminder to myself to always guard my heart and spirit jealously for God. The Lord has been reminding me that in the process of having a pure heart and mind for Him, it's not just about praying to Him for help. It also means action and effort on our part.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with peseverance the race marked out for us."
Hebrews 12:1 (NIV, emphasis mine)

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..." Hebrews 12: 1 (NASB, emphasis mine)

Indeed, sin can so easily seep into our lives to entangle. Lord, guard my heart and mind ever so jealously for you. Brothers and sisters, let us spur each other to run the race well for Jesus. We can run well because God has positioned us to run it well for Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home